Recent Learning Programmes
September 12-16, 2011, Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON), Lagos, Nigeria
Commonwealth Case Writing and Development Workshop
With the support the Governance and Institutional Development Division, Commonwealth Secretariat, CAPAM in partnership with the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria (ASCON) welcomed 16 participants from the West African region at a Commonwealth Case Writing and Development Workshop. This capacity building workshop had the main objective of building case writing and development skills and enhancing the teaching repertoire of training and curriculum development professionals from the region.
Over the course of the week, participants worked through the writing and development of a draft case study, prepared through notes and a rough sketch in advance of the workshop. Cases were then presented for discussion, critique and advice for a panel of evaluators including the facilitator.
September 13-16, 2011, Gaborone, Botswana
Enhancing Leadership in Financial Administration & Accountability
In partnership with the Centre for Specialisation in Public Administration and Management (CESPAM), University of Botswana, CAPAM welcomed 20 participants to attend a programme that combined leadership training approaches with lessons on sound financial administration and accountability.
This approach recognizes the need to enhance leadership skills while also building practical management skills in key public administration areas. The financial administration topics addressed included the following:
- strategic planning in a complex environment;
- the qualities of leadership, strengths and weaknesses;
- financial control implications, budget cycles;
- promoting accountability in financial management;
- approaches by the Auditor General in making recommendations for governance practices;
- reporting and auditing practices;
- risk management and mitigation in practical situations; and
- the budget system in Botswana.
The leadership aspects addressed included:
- communication skills;
- different leadership styles;
- public service leadership and accountability;
- commitment-based leadership models;
- leading from where you sit;
- public Service Leadership in Botswana; and
- unique challenges of Leadership in Africa.